[Xorp-users] VLAN Interfaces

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Feb 11 11:52:51 PST 2011

On 02/11/2011 11:53 AM, Joe Coco wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
>> I think if you fix the VLAN naming issue, everything else is likely to
>> start working...
>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>
> Well, I did successfully fix the vlan naming, so now it set's the name type to dev.vid, and puts the appropriate entries in /proc/net/vlan/config, and creates the appropriate per interface files.
>
> It still has the IP address problem. I suspect somewhere there is another reference to it as vlan.vid, but I don't quite understand this code.
>
> error:
> Failed to configure address because of device not found: IfConfigSetNetlinkSocket::add_addr:
> check_nl_req: Cannot add address '1.1.1.1' on interface 'eth1' vif 'eth1.100': AF_NETLINK NLMSG_ERROR message: No such device
>
> The printing of the error uses strings such as 'eth1.100' as the device, but since I don't know how NL works I don't know that it is the ACTUAL device it's polling/modifying.

I don't think the code is going to like interface name != vif-name.  There seem to be
lots of assumptions that they are always the same.  Maybe it's time to rip out that
code once and for all, and just make everything a vif.

For this particular error, it might be using eth1's info (name, or perhaps if-index)
instead of eth1.100

It's also possible that there is a race and eth1.100 either isn't in the kernel yet, or
hasn't been discovered by xorp.

What version of xorp are you using?  Latest xorp.ct from git tree?