[Xorp-users] VLAN Interfaces

Joe Coco jcoco at meccorp.mec.edu
Mon Feb 14 12:52:36 PST 2011

> Thanks for the useful test case.

> I found some of the problems:

> First, I fixed the vlan naming to use "eth1.5" format.

Was that simply a change from:

-    vlanreq.u.name_type = VLAN_NAME_TYPE_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD;      // vlan10
+    vlanreq.u.name_type = VLAN_NAME_TYPE_RAW_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD; /* eth1.100 */

in  fea/data_plane/ifconfig/ifconfig_set_netlink_socket.cc  ?

That is all I changed on mine, and it appeared to fix the entries in /proc/net/vlan/

> But, that doesn't really fix the problem because xorp uses 'pif-index',
> ie physical port ifindex when it really should be using the ifindex of
> the VIF.

> I added two hacks to work around this for ip addr add/delete (on Linux),
> but the code to make the interface admin-UP is still broken (I'm sure
> it's using the ifindex of the parent, which does nothing useful to the
> VLAN, though it returns no errors).

> Fixing this proper is probably going to require quite a bit of code
> change to fix some bad assumptions about VIFS v/s Interfaces.

> I'll go ahead and push my 'fixes' now..but be aware they do not fix
> the entire problem.  I'll start poking at more substantial changes,
> but not sure when I'll get it done.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it. Do you think you could email me your patch
so I can see what you started on and maybe hack at it a little bit?

-- Joe