[Xorp-users] VLAN Interfaces

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Feb 14 12:45:22 PST 2011

On 02/14/2011 12:52 PM, Joe Coco wrote:

>> Thanks for the useful test case.
>
>> I found some of the problems:
>
>> First, I fixed the vlan naming to use "eth1.5" format.
>
> Was that simply a change from:
>
> -    vlanreq.u.name_type = VLAN_NAME_TYPE_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD;      // vlan10
> +    vlanreq.u.name_type = VLAN_NAME_TYPE_RAW_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD; /* eth1.100 */
>
> in  fea/data_plane/ifconfig/ifconfig_set_netlink_socket.cc  ?
>

> That is all I changed on mine, and it appeared to fix the entries in /proc/net/vlan/
>
>> But, that doesn't really fix the problem because xorp uses 'pif-index',
>> ie physical port ifindex when it really should be using the ifindex of
>> the VIF.
>
>> I added two hacks to work around this for ip addr add/delete (on Linux),
>> but the code to make the interface admin-UP is still broken (I'm sure
>> it's using the ifindex of the parent, which does nothing useful to the
>> VLAN, though it returns no errors).
>
>> Fixing this proper is probably going to require quite a bit of code
>> change to fix some bad assumptions about VIFS v/s Interfaces.
>
>> I'll go ahead and push my 'fixes' now..but be aware they do not fix
>> the entire problem.  I'll start poking at more substantial changes,
>> but not sure when I'll get it done.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to look at it. Do you think you could email me your patch
> so I can see what you started on and maybe hack at it a little bit?

It's pushed to xorp.ct, just 'git pull', or check out a new one if you have been
using a static snapshot (and git pull in the future)...

'gitk' is useful for viewing patches, etc.

Also, the VIF handling doesn't look quite so broken now that
I look a bit more...maybe the problem is just that the system
hasn't managed to probe the physical index yet, or something
like that...poking at that after lunch.