[Xorp-users] VLAN Interfaces

Joe Coco jcoco at meccorp.mec.edu
Mon Feb 14 14:56:00 PST 2011

> Any reason you can't add 'vconfig', or use a moderately up-to-date 'ip' tool to
> create the VLANs before you log into xorpsh?

You can.

However in a working environment, like metro ethernet for example. If you are using xorp as a router and you are adding and removing vlans non stop it's better to have a single
configuration interface rather than to have to have a network admin 'shell out' to use vconfig, then go into xorpsh to configure routes or dynamic routing protocols.

Like I said, I'm experimenting with xorp to replace ZebOS as the routing engine for router appliances. The idea is a router like CLI only, and hide the unix. ZebOS as
you know is cisco-like, where xorp is Juniper. so they both fit in with the network guys very well.

Thanks!

-- Joe