[Xorp-users] VLAN Interfaces

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Feb 14 15:03:19 PST 2011

On 02/14/2011 02:56 PM, Joe Coco wrote:

>> Any reason you can't add 'vconfig', or use a moderately up-to-date 'ip' tool to
>> create the VLANs before you log into xorpsh?
>
> You can.
>
> However in a working environment, like metro ethernet for example. If you are using xorp as a router and you are adding and removing vlans non stop it's better to have a single
> configuration interface rather than to have to have a network admin 'shell out' to use vconfig, then go into xorpsh to configure routes or dynamic routing protocols.
>
> Like I said, I'm experimenting with xorp to replace ZebOS as the routing engine for router appliances. The idea is a router like CLI only, and hide the unix. ZebOS as
> you know is cisco-like, where xorp is Juniper. so they both fit in with the network guys very well.

Ok.  I'm pretty sure we'll never support VLANs as sub-interfaces of real interfaces
properly (at least if I'm writing the code), but we could probably make one able to create
a proper interface that is a VLAN through the xorp config file (and/or xorpsh)

If you ever wanted to get clever and stack vlans, that might get interesting to implement
though...