[Xorp-users] VLAN Interfaces

Joe Coco jcoco at meccorp.mec.edu
Tue Feb 15 12:25:30 PST 2011

> Yes, but the interface will not be admin up, and all sorts of code will not
> actually function properly.

How do you tell if it is 'admin up' ?

The hack I wrote, seems to make it work although I have not tested much more than basic pinging.

xorp at asterisk# show interfaces interface eth1
    vif "eth1.100" {
        vlan {
            vlan-id: 100
        }
        address 1.1.1.1 {
            prefix-length: 24
        }
    }
    vif "eth2.100" {
        vlan {
            vlan-id: 200
        }
        address 2.1.1.1 {
            prefix-length: 24
        }
    }

[edit]
xorp at asterisk#

> I remain convinced that making the vlans a normal interface in the config file
> (and xorpsh), and adding some vlan-id and parent-dev fields so that we can
> create them properly is the way to actually get this working.

>This would still be a decent amount of work...

Probably. ZebOS does this kind of. You set switchport access under the physical interface (which vlans can pass), but the actual
'vif' is a vlanvid device that is treated like a normal interface not attached to the physical. With this config for example, you can
put eth1 and eth2 both in vlan5 in bridge mode.

If we could do something as simple as:

# create interface vlan 100 disable false
# create interface vlan 100 physical eth1 mode trunk
# create interface vlan 100 physical eth2 mode access
# create interface vlan 100 bridge-id 1
# create interface vlan 100 address 1.1.1.1 prefix-length 24

Which would then create a vlan100 interface, I think that would work just fine.
In the above example, it would be in trunk (tag) mode on eth1, but native access
mode on eth2 with a bridge group of 1. This could be built on for q-in-q support, etc.

-- Joe

-- Joe