[Xorp-users] Xorp documentation

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Feb 26 13:20:30 PST 2011

On 02/26/2011 05:15 AM, Pierre Lepropre wrote:
> Ben,
>
> As I was telling Ray, the wiki we're using is kind of an internal thing
> and vastly incomplete (and maybe inaccurate for some stuff but I hope
> not...).

Looks good!  Your presentation slides are particularly nice.  Only problem
I noticed is that they have SNMP listed in them, and it's been gone
from Xorp for some time (and unlikely to ever return).

> I guess the best subset of people would be the most experienced ones
> with XORP (namely you, Ben ;-) ) if they wanna come in. I don't know,
> it's kinda up to you guys. At the end of my master thesis, I personally
> guarantee you that I will make everything in my power to transfer you
> the whole content to upload it somewhere else.
>
> Here is the URL in case anybody is interested:
> http://queen.run.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~willemaers/doku-xorp/doku.php
>
> Please, Ben, do NOT put that URL on the xorp website, at least not yet.
> I'd like to see how the community responds to that initiative and talk
> about it with my direct supervisor.
>
> Regarding the documentation itself, I think most of it should be written
> back from square one. Fixing things that have been fixed and then
> refixed for so much time doesn't lead to an accurate and readable
> documentation. Don't get wrong heh, I'm not blaming anyone on this, the
> 1.6 documentation was already outdated at the time they released the
> version.

It always seems easier (and more fun) to do things from scratch, but often taking
the time to do incremental improvements produces more long-term
gain.  (You can get a re-write 90% done, at large effort, and
run out of time/interest, and the end result is still less
useful than the original funky documentation.)

I'm personally not so interested in poking content into a wiki that I'm
not 100% certain can be freely copied (ie, what if your project leaders
decide to suddenly restrict access, or just turn off the servers).
I would like to add your slide-show to the xorp.ct tree and web site
if/when you give permission.  And I'll be happy to link to your page
when you are ready.

For the existing documentation, it's .tex files and found in
xorp.ct/docs/*  I don't particularly know latex or ever tried to learn
it, but it is not difficult to make changes to the existing text.
You can build the postscript & pdf files with scons from the docs dir.

The web docs are at:
xorp.ct/www/html_src

You 'compile' the web pages by typing 'make'
in xorp.ct/www
There is a script in xorp.ct/www/scripts/ that generates
the html from the source pages.

If anyone makes changes they'd like incorporated upstream, post
the diffs to the mailing list and/or send them to me directly.