[Xorp-users] R: Re: R: RE: ospfv3 interfaces on the same link with different network prefixes

maxd at inwind.it maxd at inwind.it
Thu Jun 30 03:32:09 PDT 2011

That would be useful. Can you also send me your network interface configuration
(ifconfig or ip addr)?
To understand why it does not work, consider a simple scenario with three
nodes: A ---- B ---- C. B has clearly two network interfaces.
Now, suppose that each interface has  a link local address + a site local
address. If I want to ping C from A, I need to use C site local address.
According to the behaviour of XORP I am experiencing, the site local address of
C will show up in the routing table of node A, but not in the one of node B.
So, A knows that the message for C must be forwarded to B. B does not know a
route for the site-local address of C, and it does not matter that he knows the
link-local address of C. I mean, B does not know that the node attached on the
other side of the link, for which he has a link-local entry in the routing
table, is the intended recipient of the message. I hope that I have clarified
the issue...

Thanks for your help,
Massimiliano

any case xorp uses and sets the link local addresses for the next hop in the
router table. So even if you dont have any site local address inthe link
between the xorp and router it sould work anyways.

>If you want i can send you an output of my xorp router table where shows that
it uses LL addreses.

>Patricio
>
>Sent from my iPad
>
>On Jun 29, 2011, at 4:14 AM, "maxd at inwind.it" <maxd at inwind.it> wrote:
>
>> Hi Patricio,
>> thanks for your answer. I want to be sure that I was clear enough about
the
>> issue I have.
>> In a scenario like yours, I see that you have three network segments:
>> -Internet---Xorp
>> -Xorp---Router
>> -Router-host
>> Let's consider the Xorp---Router segment. I understand that you have more
than
>> one address on each interface. Let's consider the site local addresses on
this
>> segment. The Xorp node will have a site local address, say it SL_ADDR_XORP,
and
>> the same will be for the router, say it SL_ADDR_ROUTER. In your network
>> scenario, SL_ADDR_XORP and SL_ADDR_ROUTER, do they share the same network
>> prefix? By network prefix I mean the network part of the address (e.g.,
the
>> first 64 bit of the address if you have a /64 mask). In my configuration,
they
>> do not share the same network prefix (I need to have this configuration),
and
>> what I get is that, projecting the behaviour I am experiencing on your
network
>> topology, the Xorp node will not have an entry in the routing table for
>> SL_ADDR_ROUTE, and the same will be for the router.
>> Do you experience a different behaviour?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Massimiliano

local
>>> one. The site-local address has a different network prefix for each
network