[Xorp-users] PIM-SMv2 not working when bootstrap mechanism is enabled

Vunnava Kesava Srinivas-B32946 B32946 at freescale.com
Fri Mar 11 05:38:36 PST 2011

Hi,

We are testing XORP-V1.6  for PIMSM-V2 (IPv4) with no unicast routing protocol enabled.
It works when we use static RP.  It is not working when we select Bootstrap mechanism and specifying candiadate rp.
We observed the following two issues.

case 1:
When candidate RP and BSR are enabled on one router and DR on another (connected back to back), DR is receiving the bootstrap message which contained the multicast Group prefix and the RP's IP correctly.
But DR is not updating its active RP list with the information from bootstrap message received from BSR.But DR is able to send the same Bootstrap message back to BSR.
We used the command "show pim bootstrap rps" at DR to view its active RP list.

case 2:
When candidate RP and DR are configured on one router and BSR on another router, we have not seen the candidate RP advertisement being generated by the first router even though it identified the location of BSR which it learnt through bootstrap message from BSR.

In both cases we have  ensured mrib to contain the correct routes by manually configuring in linux kernel.

Please find the configuration  files attached.
DRconfigcase1.boot and BSRconfigcase1.boot are applicable for the first case mentioned above and the rest are for case 2 mentioned above.

Please help us in locating the problem.We believe that we are missing some thing.

Thanks
-kesava and ns murthy