[Xorp-users] [Xorp-hackers] XORP documentation wiki is online.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Mar 15 09:23:12 PDT 2011

On 03/15/2011 05:58 AM, Matthew Jakeman wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 21:04 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> On 03/14/2011 03:45 PM, Matthew Jakeman wrote:
>>> Hi Ben, all,
>>>
>>> This is great. I have just had a look through the new documentation on
>>> the wiki and there are some significant updates on there that should
>>> make peoples introduction to XORP a lot easier. In particular the
>>> updated documentation for writing a process that has updated the old
>>> Makefile information to the latest scons processes (among other things).
>>> This will be especially useful to people who haven't used XORP before as
>>> it was one thing I struggled with a bit when first using XORP.
>>>
>>> Huge thanks to both yourself and Pierre for this. Myself and Pierre are
>>> both working on the ECODE project from which this has come about and
>>> it's good to see that it has already pushed something back into the
>>> community.
>>
>> The documentation help is very useful and very welcome.
>>
>> I am also curious about the state of your xorp modifications.  Are
>> they still scheduled to be publicly released?  If so, I'd like
>> to try to figure out how to make them part of the official
>> xorp tree.  Perhaps somewhere in the contrib/ directory if
>> it's not general purpose code.
>>

> We are still working on our implementation and are hoping to release the
> source code into the public domain at some point down the line.
>
> One problem we have is that because the async stuff Steven has
> implemented was not originally in XORP we have implemented our prototype
> using the original XORP code. This means that if we wanted to fully
> integrate it into XORP properly, we will have the issue of porting the
> code to the new style of coding.

This is exactly why you should merge your code early and often:
Maybe he could have used your fixes, or vice versa..and either way,
both of you might be better off.

> We will be looking at this further down the line and depending on the
> project time constraints, we will see if we can integrate it in a nice
> manner within the XORP code tree as I believe it would be a nice
> addition to have in there. Obviously it would be better overall for us
> to release the code within XORP rather than releasing our branch
> separately.
>
> We will be in touch a bit further down the line and let you know how we
> progress with these issues.

About the only guarantee is that the longer you wait, the more difficult
the merge will be.  But, it's not my decision, and I hope your plans work
out fine regardless.