[Xorp-users] xorp VLAN create/delete usage question

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Oct 4 16:07:06 PDT 2011

On 10/04/2011 11:53 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 11:47 AM, Eric S. Johnson wrote:
>>
>> greearb at candelatech.com said:
>>> I just noticed that the vlan delete logic is messing up one of my
>>> own xorp configurations.  Basically, I want to delete a vlan from
>>> the xorp config, but I don't want it deleted from the OS.
>>
>>> I can easily enough add some hack like an environment variable to
>>> disable all vlan deletes, but I was wondering instead if I should be
>>> more clever and maybe have xorp only delete vlans that it created?
>>
>> If you delete an interface that was previously created outside xotp
>> it deletes it.
>
> It does now...question is whether it should?  Xorp has no concept
> of delete interface v/s remove xorp configuration for interface.
>
> I was thinking that if xorp didn't create the VLAN itself, it
> should not delete the VLAN from the OS when removing xorp
> configuration for that interface.

I just committed code that will cause xorp to only delete from the
OS VLANs that it created earlier.

If anyone wants an env-variable to either force the VLANS to
always be deleted, or never, I'll be happy to add it.

Adding a new flag to the configuration to allow users per-interface
control of vlan deletion is more effort than I feel like putting in,
but patches are welcome.