[Xorp-users] xorp VLAN create/delete usage question

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Oct 5 08:38:58 PDT 2011

On 10/05/2011 05:03 AM, Joe Coco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I kind of like the idea of either an ENV or a startup option. Leaning more towards the startup option.
>
> We're (considering) using Xorp in the following scenarios:
>
> A.  Gui creates interfaces/vlans, and XORP just performs dynamic routing
> B. XORP does everything
> C. Initial interface configuration created at startup, XORP has control later on.
>
> I like the idea that based on a flag or switch, XORP would allow the adding, deleting, or modifying of any existing interface, or based on a different flag or switch XORP
> would either leave any interfaces configured alone on exit, or cleanup on exit and discard them.
>
> As to your initial concern, I don't completely understand why you would want to delete an interface from XORP's configuration but not have that interface modified in the OS.
>
> Could you explain that a little?

I have an application that drives creation/deletion of interfaces, and sets up
routing rules for them and such.  I just need xorp to run the actual routing
protocols.  I need to be able to move interfaces in and out of xorp 'virtual routers'
without them being deleted.

I'll work on some env-var over-rides.  Startup options are not easy because
we do not directly start the xorp_fea process.  It could be added to the xorp
config, but that's a lot of work:  I'd do it for hire, but I think not just
for fun :)