[Xorp-users] [Xorp-hackers] 1.8.4 problems with xorpsh

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Sep 19 09:22:16 PDT 2011

On 09/19/2011 05:58 AM, Joe Coco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So we’re seeing this problem. Once you have the router configured, a number of hours or a day later when we run xorpsh from the command prompt we get the
> following error:
>
> Saturn:/Log_Drive# xorpsh
>
> Failed to register with router manager process
>
> 102 Command failed Failed to close temporary file: /tmp/rtrmgr-xorpsh-3990-Saturn
>
> The following files are in /tmp
>
> xrl.DfneQu xrl.Dm4fN3 xrl.HRzApF xrl.V3ucPO xrl.fI4sT3 xrl.he3lP3 xrl.l027P5 xrl.p9pZbl
>
> The following xorp processes are in the list:
>
> 2379 ? S 12:03 xorp_fea
>
> 2380 ? S 6:51 xorp_rib
>
> 2381 ? S 0:02 xorp_policy
>
> 2382 ? S 0:02 xorp_static_routes
>
> 2383 ? S 11:02 xorp_bgp
>
> 2384 ? Ss 0:48 /usr/local/xorp/sbin/xorp_rtrmgr -b /home/xorp/config.boot -l /var/log/xo
>
> Attached is a log file, not sure if it is telling us anything related to this issue.

I don't see any obvious errors in the logs...but maybe the problem happened
before the time covered in these logs?

One thing though:  It seems we are deleting already-deleted routes very often..multiple
per second.  Any idea why this is?  Are your links in constant heavy modification?

Can you have it log to a file so that we have the complete logs
available?

Also, if that doesn't show an obvious problem, please run strace xorpsh
to see what system calls it makes (and which ones fail, perhaps).

Finally, you might try increasing the xrl related timeouts by setting
the environ vars on this page before starting xorpsh:

http://xorp.run.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/latex2wiki/user_manual/environment_variables

If increasing timeouts somehow 'fixes' it, then things are still weird, but
it gives us some additional information...