[Xorp-users] Xorp 1.8.4 is released.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Sep 21 10:31:00 PDT 2011

I have uploaded binaries & source code to www.xorp.org.

The downloads link points to xorp.org now instead of SourceForge,
but I put the windows binary and source code snapshot on sourceforge
and github as well, just in case someone prefers that.

Generally, 1.8.4 is mostly a bug-fix release.

Here's the release notes highlights:

    *  Add async-XRL support, from Steven Simpson

    *  Fix bug in deleting non-VLAN interface.  Commit would fail
       because the code would attempt to remove the interface from
       the kernel and fail.

    *  Fix BSD related crash when adding interface with same ifindex
       as a previous interface.  OpenBSD has the nasty habit of re-using
       the ifindex when creating/deleting virtual interfaces.

    *  Fix multicast bug that totally breaks XORP multicast on recent
       Linux kernels.  The problem is that I chose the wrong default
       multicast routing table (254, instead of 253 as it should be).
       So, if users don't specify a routing table, it pokes routes into
       the wrong table.  This wasn't caught in my testing because I always
       explicitly set the routing table ID.

    *  Add some env variable controlled debugging to the libxorp and libxipc
       logic for better debugging of xrls and the event loop.

Full release notes and change log are available here:

http://www.xorp.org/releases/1.8.4/docs/RELEASE_NOTES

Please post to the list if you have a chance to try this out,
and let us know how it works for you.