[Xorp-users] XORP testing on PPC400 processor family

Phil Wiggins phil.wiggins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:04:32 PST 2012

Ben and Igor,

We appreciate all the great work that you're doing in this community.
At the xorp test environment [1], I see that the test environment
scales across a number of O/S (linux, freebsd, etc), but only x86 and
arm for processors.  I just want to confirm that this is the case.

We have been doing some building on an embedded PPC400 family [2]
architecture and starting to notice issues as we apply various loading
conditions (e.g. timer issues under CPU load).  What would it take to
add PPC440 family variant to the xorp test environment?  Can that be
done with a PPC emulator (e.g. QEMU running linux [3])?

To better understand your test environment more generally, do you
apply constraints for memory (e.g. 128/256M) and processor speeds
(e.g. 200/400 MHz using cpulimit [4]) within the software environments
under test?

[1] http://dmz2.candelatech.com:8010/waterfall
[2] https://www-01.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/F72367F770327F8A87256E63006CB7EC/$file/PowerPC440_Nov2006.pdf
[3] http://www.makestuff.eu/wordpress/running-debian-for-arm-powerpc-on-qemu/