[Xorp-users] Changing OSPF routes/costs/any part in the OSPF routing table

Alexandru Blidaru alexsb92 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 14:40:47 PST 2012

Hey there,

I'm a computer engineering student, and I've recently became interested in
networks, and this whole routers stuff (scheduled to take a networking
class next semester). So I found XORP, and I installed it on a few VMs, and
I started playing around with the whole setup. I've been going through the
docs found here:
http://xorp.run.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/latex2wiki/dev_getting_started, and I
started wondering if there is a way to change the routing table. So for
example when a certain path would have a cost value of 10, to change it to
20 and see how a packet would move in those conditions. From my
understanding even if there is a way to manually do this, due to the way
OSPF works, the routing table would be updated after a certain time period.

So my question is, is there a way to modify any of the values in the OSPF
routing table, in order to then analyze how the packets end up moving
around the network? If yes (whether by changing parts of the code, or
through settings of some sort), could you give me a few pointers and set me
in the right direction?

Alexandru Blidaru

@G_raph <https://twitter.com/#!/G_Raph> || LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexandrublidaru>||