[Xorp-users] RP shutdown

Derka István steve at sze.hu
Wed Jul 25 14:09:32 PDT 2012

Hi,

I've installed and configured a 4-by-4 mesh network from Xorp 1.8.4
routers using Ubuntu 10.04 operating system on virtual machines in
VmWare ESxi environment. I configured the PIM-SM4 multicast routing on
all routers and some routers was set as Candidate-RP and Candidate-BSR.
The streaming through the mesh network is in good working.

In my research I measure the RP change time (from the highest
prioriyrity RP to second highest's priority RP) when the stream flow
through the RP to the receiver. For this simulated RP's mailfunction I
delete Cand-RP and Cand-BSR settings from RP's config online (with help
of xorpsh) and capture all the packets on the receiver's side with
tcpdump. When the measuring program (a bash script) terminated normally
I run an other bash script to process the captured packets.

My problem with the XORP PIM-SM4 routing when I delete the mentioned
above configuration parameters from the RP's config the Xorp doesn't
send any Candidate-RP Advertisement (with holdtime=0 setting) to the BSR
(RFC5059). So, the BSR will delete only the stopped RP from the BSM RP
list when its holdtime timer reaches the zero. Therefore, changing from
the first (highest priority) RP to the second is much longer than normally.
My question is how can I shutdown the actually operating RP in normal
way when the Xorp send a Candidate-RP Adv. message (with holdtime=0
setting) to the BSR?

Thanks,
Istvan Derka