[Xorp-users] Route Redist between RIP and OSPF - working?

David Davidson david at commroom.net
Fri Mar 23 19:13:28 PDT 2012

Hey Steve:

I concur. I reproduced this in a lab and I see the same problem. On my
core router, AKA 192.168.30.1 and also addressed as 192.168.40.1, (I
prefer to use "core router" for my xorp2 node - I don't use the term
"bridge node" for this router - this could possibly be misconstrued by
some for a L2 bridge) I have the following configuration:

#########################################################################################

cat /etc/xorp/config
/* XORP configuration file
  *
  * Configuration format: 1.1
  * XORP version: 1.8.5
  * Date: 2012/03/23 18:32:01.840943
  * User: root
  */

protocols {
     ospf4 {
         router-id: 192.168.30.2
         rfc1583-compatibility: false
         ip-router-alert: false
         area 0.0.0.0 {
             area-type: "normal"
             interface eth0 {
                 link-type: "broadcast"
                 vif eth0 {
                     address 192.168.30.2 {
                         priority: 128
                         hello-interval: 10
                         router-dead-interval: 40
                         interface-cost: 1
                         retransmit-interval: 5
                         transit-delay: 1
                         disable: false
                     }
                 }
             }
         }
         export: "EXPORT-OSPF-SIDE"
     }
     rip {
         interface eth1 {
             vif eth1 {
                 address 192.168.40.1 {
                     metric: 1
                     horizon: "split-horizon-poison-reverse"
                     disable: false
                     passive: false
                     accept-non-rip-requests: true
                     accept-default-route: true
                     advertise-default-route: true
                     route-timeout: 180
                     deletion-delay: 120
                     triggered-delay: 3
                     triggered-jitter: 66
                     update-interval: 30
                     update-jitter: 16
                     request-interval: 30
                     interpacket-delay: 50
                 }
             }
         }
         export: "EXPORT-RIP-SIDE"
     }
}
policy {
     policy-statement "EXPORT-RIP-SIDE" {
         term 1 {
             from {
                 protocol: "connected"
             }
             then {
                 accept {
                 }
             }
         }
         term 2 {
             from {
                 protocol: "ospf4"
             }
             then {
                 accept {
                 }
             }
         }
         term 3 {
             then {
                 reject {
                 }
             }
         }
     }
     policy-statement "EXPORT-OSPF-SIDE" {
         term 1 {
             from {
                 protocol: "connected"
             }
             then {
                 accept {
                 }
             }
         }
         term 2 {
             from {
                 protocol: "rip"
             }
             then {
                 accept {
                 }
             }
         }
         term 3 {
             then {
                 reject {
                 }
             }
         }
     }
}
fea {
     unicast-forwarding4 {
         disable: false
     }
}
interfaces {
     restore-original-config-on-shutdown: false
     interface eth0 {
         disable: false
         discard: false
         unreachable: false
         management: false
         parent-ifname: ""
         iface-type: ""
         vid: ""
         vif eth0 {
             disable: false
             address 192.168.30.2 {
                 prefix-length: 24
                 disable: false
             }
         }
     }
     interface eth1 {
         disable: false
         discard: false
         unreachable: false
         management: false
         parent-ifname: ""
         iface-type: ""
         vid: ""
         vif eth1 {
             disable: false
             address 192.168.40.1 {
                 prefix-length: 24
                 disable: false
             }
         }
     }
}

#########################################################################################

And using this, I have the exact same issue you described. I should also
note that I tried the policy configuration using both ways, including
creating a separate policy for connected nodes, and then exporting both
policies. Both configurations produced the same result that you
described: The OSPF routes are in fact exported into the RIP and then
they are learned by the RIP routers, but the OSPF routers don't learn
about the RIP routes, and hence, don't have routes to the routers
running RIP.

I agree with you - I think this perhaps a RIP issue because there is
something weird about the RIP protocol related to this topology. I am
going to do some more work on this and if I find anything different, I
will report it out and let you know.

Good find!

David