[Xorp-users] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Re: Route Redist between RIP and OSPF - working?

Aidan Van Dyk aidan at highrise.ca
Sun Mar 25 17:44:37 PDT 2012

So, it seems like many of us have hit this issue in one way or an other.

I did some experiments with it, and I found that as long as I didn't
"export:" *AT ALL* in the protocol ospf section, I could manipulate
rip exports just fine with policies.  I could export any routes from
static, or from other protocols, or from connected, filter on
anything, etc.

But, what I saw was that as soon as OSPF was exporting any policy
(even if they were completely seperate policies, completely sepeate
selections, i.e mutually exclusive), all the routes were pulled from
rip (deleted in the rib->rip redist, then flooded out via RIP with
metric 16, and then stopped.

So, since OSPF takes longer to "start up", and rip started quickly, I
acutally found that rip would start, and start advertising connected
(because my policy was for it to do that), and ospf would be starting,
and as soon as ospf came up (and as long as I had an export policy in
the ospf protocol), the routes would get pulled from rip.

If ospf came up with no export in it's protocol section, then the
routes wouldn't be removed from rip.

So it seems like it's something in the policy that only happens once
OSPF actually uses it.   But I haven't dug into any of the policy
code/implementation so yet.  And I haven't been able to see if it
happens with any other pairs of protocols, OSPF and RIP are the only
ones I've played with so far...

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM, David Davidson <david at commroom.net> wrote:
> Ahhhhh grrr there is still an issue. I will keep testing this and let you
> know if I find something.

Aidan Van Dyk                                             Create like a god,
aidan at highrise.ca                                       command like a king,
http://www.highrise.ca/                                   work like a slave.