[Xorp-users] Problems with bootstrap and rp selection in pimsm

Dan Rosenqvist danro at kth.se
Wed May 23 04:46:39 PDT 2012

Hi,

There seems to be an error/bug in xorps bootstrap mechanism for the pimsm4
protocol. In my test network, I've set up two adjacent routers both running
ospf4 as well as pimsm4.

Each of these have bootstrap enabled with one cand-bsr and one cand-rp each. As
the bootstrap router gets elected, one of the routers will have one selected rp
in the list of rps (from "show pim rps"), while the other one will have two rps.

This will cause strange behaviour in the routing of multicast packets.

If I remove one cand-rp from one of the nodes, I get the normal (expected)
behaviour. I suspect that this is a bug. If you can't post several candidate
rps, what's the use of a bootstrap mechanism?

Has anyone else seen similar errors/problems? Is there a known solution?

Here's the bootstrap part of router 1 and router 2:

--- R1 ---

bootstrap {
    disable: false
    cand-bsr {
        scope-zone 224.0.0.0/4 {
            cand-bsr-by-vif-name: "eth1"
            bsr-priority: 189
        }
    }
    cand-rp {
        group-prefix 224.0.0.0/4 {
            cand-rp-by-vif-name: "eth1"
            rp-priority: 189
        }
    }
}

--- R2 ---
bootstrap {
    disable: false
    cand-bsr {
        scope-zone 224.0.0.0/4 {
            cand-bsr-by-vif-name: "eth0"
            bsr-priority: 190
        }
    }
    cand-rp {
        group-prefix 224.0.0.0/4 {
            cand-rp-by-vif-name: "eth0"
            rp-priority: 190
        }
    }
}

In these configurations R1s eth1 interface and R2s eth0 interface are connected
to the same subnet.

I haven't posted the entire configurations of the two routers, but they are in
line with the configurations in www.xorp.org/config/.

Regards,
Dan