[Xorp-users] Question about license of xorp_cli library.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sun Oct 7 12:49:28 PDT 2012

On 10/07/2012 05:50 AM, 张东亚 wrote:
> Hi list,
>    Recently I am reading about XORP source code, as I learned, most of
> library of XORP project use LGPL license, while xorp_cli library use a
> license of GPL.
> The library is mainly used by xorpsh, however, it may also be used by
> some module to provide internal CLI access, but as it uses GPL
> license, it's hard to
> use the library to add internal cli access to some proprietary module.
>    Is this caused by some historically reason?
>    Thanks a lot.

To change the license, you would have to get agreement from all copyright
holders, including whoever bought the original xorp.com and any developers
that have made changes since it was put under the GPL.  Likely I'm one of
those developers, and I have no interest in changing it to GPL license, so
realistically, the license cannot be changed.

You can use system() calls to xorpsh -c 'command' to pass in commands that way,
perhaps...  Or just make your stuff GPL.