[Xorp-users] Building RPM for CentOS 6

Dirk dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Sun Aug 4 06:19:39 PDT 2013

I managed to get through with it, so here is how it finally worked

The script for rpm building and the specfile are faulty. Here is what I
had to change:

spec file:
- the changelog was deranged, rpmbuild requires the time entries to be
consecutive and descriptions to be there for every version entry
- the options part in the beginning of the spec file needs a %define
__strip /bin/true because otherwise stripping is tried even for shell
scripts which breaks the build

Additionally I changed xorp_confdir to %{_sysconfdir}/xorp because I do
not like throwing everything unsorted into /etc/, but that is not
necessary to make it work. Same with localstatedir.

script:
The script relies on pulling source code from the git repo but does not
do so. I changed this part to:
# Create a clean repo.
mkdir -p $TMPDIR
cd $TMPDIR
git clone git://github.com/greearb/xorp.ct.git
cd xorp.ct/
cp README xorp/
tar cfa $RPMDIR/SOURCES/xorp-$VERSION.tar.lzma xorp
cd

At last rpmbuild produced a nice rpm which installed error free.

Cheers,

Dirk