[Xorp-users] Xorp 1.8.6 causes kernel panic in FreeBSD 8.3

Daniel Spisak dspisak at agiosat.net
Thu Jan 17 15:25:07 PST 2013

Ben,

     I've gone ahead and submitted a bug to FreeBSD regarding this
behavior which can be seen here:

However, you will notice that its listed as a low priority and
"non-critical" which I find a bit annoying considering the fact that
userland software can cause the kernel to panic. To that effect, is
there something we could be doing differently on our Xorp config to
perhaps mitigate the problem?

I was hoping other users with GRE and multicast experience would be able
to speak up about our configuration we are trying to make work, but the
lack of replies to it has me feeling like we're not going to be getting
a lot of help from the community and this combined with having to deal
with the whole kernel panic issue as well has me wondering where to go
for working multicast capabilities as most of the other software
projects I could find were so old and/or not actively maintained that it
seemed like a long shot anything would be possible. Xorp to me at least
felt like our last best hope for getting working multicast on FreeBSD,
but I don't pretend to know everything out there.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

--
Daniel Spisak
Network Engineer