[Xorp-users] Regarding PIM-sm

Akhil Nair akhil.nair at tcs.com
Wed May 29 03:28:34 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 12:00 -0700, xorp-users-request at xorp.org wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Regarding PIM-sm (Akhil Nair)

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 11:35:36 +0530
> From: Akhil Nair <akhil.nair at tcs.com>
> Subject: [Xorp-users] Regarding PIM-sm
> To: xorp-users at xorp.org
>
> Dear All,
> Do this version of PIM-sm works on flat network.
> F.Y.I.
> A flat network is a network in which all workstations are directly
> connected to each other, except for the presence of switches and can
> communicate without the need for intermediate devices such as Routers. A
> flat network is one without subnets,as a result,its topology is not
> divided into layers or modules.Every station on a flat network receives
> a copy of every message sent.Security is poor and it is not possible to
> establish alternative paths to destinations.
>
> But as the network is very huge we are using routers for communication.
> Thanks in advance.Your help will be appreciated.

I am replying to my above mail.I configured the pim-sm successfully.The
configuration is as follow

                   t1<---->t2<---->t3<---->t4<---->t5
I am configuring this setup on virtual environment via qemu-kvm.The
value of ip address is as follows :
|machine name | interface name | ip address   |
|t1	      |	     eth0      | 10.7.1.2/8   |
|	      |    rename3     | 10.1.0.1/8   |
|t2           |      eth0      | 10.1.0.2/8   |
|             |    rename3     | 10.2.0.1/8   |
|t3           |      eth0      | 10.2.0.2/8   |
|             |    rename3     | 10.3.0.1/8   |
|t4           |      eth0      | 10.3.0.2/8   |
|             |    rename3     | 10.4.0.1/8   |
|t5           |      eth0      | 10.4.0.2/8   |
|             |    rename3     | 10.5.0.1/8   |

In first scenario i made 10.3.0.2 as static rp. Then I made t1 as source
and t5 as receiver.I was able to get multicasted traffic in regular
interval and mfc was also been added.

But when I tried the reverse way i.e. t5 as source and t1 as receiver i
got multicasted traffic once in 1 or 2 minutes.mfc was added in all the
machines.

I have also noted down one point that on t2 both the interfaces are DR
but in all the other machines there is 1 DR and 1 Not DR condition.I
also set the dr-priority then but then also no use, when i used same
dr-priority as 1 in all the machines the same scene i found in t4 as
eth0 and rename3 was both elected as DR.I think it happens because of
the highest ip address.

I have gone through the issues posted earlier but didn't found much
help.I also read in some of the post that increasing the value of ttl
will solve the issue.Is this issue can be solved by ttl increment ?

In short my questions are :
1) Single side multicast forwarding is due to two DR's on one of the
machine.I am using a flat network, its not a LAN.
2) Whether this issue can be solved by ttl increment.

I am in much needy state and Help will be appreciated :)

Thanks and Regards

--
Akhil Nair <akhil.nair at tcs.com>

and any attachments. Thank you