[Xorp-users] PIM/SM: Missing Join and Register-Stop from RP

Holger Kummert Holger.Kummert at sophos.com
Thu Mar 13 10:31:46 PDT 2014

Hello,

I do not understand XORP's behavior when running PIM/SM and Register
messages (that encapsulate multicast traffic) are received by the
RP from S.
What I am really missing is the Join msg towards S in order to avoid
the encapsulating overhead. Therefore the Register-Stop (in order to
stop sending the Register msgs) is also not sent by RP.

Shouldn't both messages be sent according to RFC 4601, ch. 3.2?

The only situation where I could force the Register-Stop to be sent
was by enabling and setting 'switch-to-spt-threshold' to '0'.
This sending is independent of any Join'ed receivers and happens
immediately after the receive of the first Register message.
But this is obviously not the intended usage.

Anyhow under no circumstances any Join messages are sent by RP to S.

Could someone give more insight on this?

Thanks in advance,
Holger