[Xorp-users] Connecting XORP with 1000 Peers

Daniel Seidenstücker d.seidenstuecker at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 16 03:59:53 PST 2016

Dear XORP community,

connecting XORP with 750 peers works well but if I connect 1000 XORP becomes
unstable, causes session drops and never reached 1000 established peers.

Due to the experience with other implementation’s problems I try to raise
the open file limits in /etc/security/limits.conf. “cat /proc/<pid>/limits |
grep files” confirms that XORP’s processes take the new limits. If I then
try to connect 1000 peers XORP crashes due to a buffer overflow (terminal
output as attachment).

Another thing which has helped with other implementations was raising
FD_SETSIZE to 65535 in /usr/include/linux/posix_types.h and
/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/typesizes.h and recompiling the
application. This has apparently no influence on XORP since its behavior
didn’t change at all.

It would be nice if you can help me and solve the following 2 problems:

How to fix the buffer overflow and how to get XORP to run with 1000 peers?

Thanks,

Daniel Seidenstuecker