[Bro-Dev] connection_established behavior

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Dec 17 01:07:12 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 09:42 -0800, you wrote:

> 	- Instantiating on SYN ACK came about due to coping with Bro
> 	  deployments with split routing, such that they never saw
> 	  initial SYNs for some connections.

Isn't this controlled by this option:

    # If true, instantiate connection state when a SYN ack is seen
    # but not the initial SYN (even if partial_connection_ok is false).
    const tcp_SYN_ack_ok = T &redef;

Perhaps we should just change the default?

> 	  and instead go with an empirical set.  $history allows this but
> 	  in an implicit fashion, rather than with explicit states.  The
> 	  latter would be better, though it's not clear to me that it's
> 	  really worth the work.

Not for the time being I would say, as this would be quite a majro
change. However, at some point, we should definitlu look more
closely at the TCP code.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org