[Bro-Dev] macports and bro

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Fri Dec 17 22:34:38 PST 2010

For fun, and to see how well the new build system could work with a packaging system, I built some port files for macports tonight and had a few comments.

*It seems that when "make install" is called in broctl, the broctl-config.sh script is not generated.  Maybe "broctl install" just needs to be run as part of the "make install" process?

* Perhaps the "spool" directory for broctl should be moved to "<prefix>/var/spool/bro"?  MacPorts gives the following warning messages:
		Warning: violation by /opt/local/spool
		Warning: broctl violates the layout of the ports-filesystems!
		Warning: Please fix or indicate this misbehavior (if it is intended), it will be an error in future releases!

* I wonder if broctl's configuration files should be put into a subdirectory in etc, like <prefix>/etc/broctl/node.cfg, etc.?  Right now, if Bro is installed alongside other software you end up with <prefix>/etc/node.cfg which is a little confusing.