[Bro-Dev] Broccoli Python bindings

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Sun Nov 7 21:03:52 PST 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 17:35 -0500, you wrote:

> I don't see an issue right now with integrating the Python setup.py
> into CMake -- it should basically involve adding a custom target
> that delegates the build to setup.py at "make" time and then also
> delegating to setup.py at "make install" time.

One question here for clarification: above you write that CMake
delegates to setup.py; however your Wiki page mentions in the
pysubnettree section:

    * Will probably have a thin CMake script to build extension and install module+extension
    * Keeping the setup.py around may be useful for packagers... not sure

That sounds like replacing setup.py with CMake (rather than
combining the two). So, I was wondering which of the two options
you're planing to follow?

I'd prefer to keep using the setup.py in both cases, as that's the
standard way to build Python extensions and thus probably more
robust.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org