[Bro-Dev] Tarballs

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Nov 29 09:02:09 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:49 -0600, you wrote:

> I think maybe the broctl source package wouldn't need to include
> broccoli since that's got it's own?

Yeah, sounds right.

> Do you anticipate broccoli & broctl frequently having releases not
> in sync w/ bro?

For broctl, yes, that I expect regular independent releases.  As
broctl sits mostly on top of the core Bro, it can be extended
without touching Bro itself and there are number of things for
broctl on our todo list.

For broccoli, the reason is a different one: it's something that can
be installed on systems that are not running Bro themselves but
merely *talk* to a Bro system. For example, if some site wants to
have all their syslogs to forward to Bro, they'll need t install
Broccoli evyerywhere. Having a separate source distrubution for that
seems useful.

> Yeah, I think distributions will likely put finer grained packages
> in their repositories, but personally, if I were downloading a
> prebuilt package from the website, I'd rather just download a single
> RPM, DEB, OS X installer, etc, that has everything I should ever
> need.

Same here, but I think the arguments above apply here as well: would
be nice to be able to update broctl separately, and to install
broccoli indepedently of anything else.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org