[Bro-Dev] Tarballs

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Nov 29 16:07:38 PST 2010

> I would think that once we have the meta-data framework for deb and rpm,
> we won't need to really touch them, right. So supporting deb and rpm
> even without CPack seems to be a do-once task, right?
> Or am I missing something?

I think that's right, but don't quote me.  Having CPack generate packages is just theoretically easier and less overall work (although that's debatable because it's poorly documented and hard to figure out sometimes) if you're not worried about fine-tuning things.

So since it seems we want to delegate the worry of fine-tuning to per-platform maintainers and I already went through the pain of figuring out CPack, we might just go ahead and use it to create packages for our own purposes.

Even if we went outside CPack to construct a meta-data framework, it's questionable how much of it would be re-usable by per-platform maintainers -- our binary packaging setup probably has too much clumped into each package (e.g. even broccoli python bindings might need to be split out into its own package, distinct from broccoli).