[Bro-Dev] Cmake for Bro

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Oct 18 20:10:05 PDT 2010

I like this, sounds like it should work.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 21:30 -0500, you wrote:

>  The super-project's configure wrapper will have to be able to
>  recursively look for additional options provided by any existing
>  sub-projects, but only has to display and maybe validate them.

The wrapper should also make clear which options apply to which
sub-package so that one doesn't get confused. Generally, I expect
the number of options to remain small though, so this shouldn't be
much of a problem.

> the Bro super-project will give you empty sub-module directories
> that one can init/update as desired:
>
>     git submodule init <path>
>     git submodule update <path>

Sounds like we could provide a script which does this for each
submodule.

> standalone works fine with CPack, I don't see why we can't just make
> a package generating script that iterates over modules, doing an
> independent out-of-source build and package creation for each.

That sounds fine.

> The 'bro-all' package should still be possible via CPack if

I don't think we necessarily need a bro-all package. I see bro-all
mainly as for those folks building/developing from source.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org