[Bro-Dev] Opinions on trace rewriter?

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Oct 25 10:41:13 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:31 -0700, you wrote:

> Now, if you're willing to pledge that BinPAC++ will support
> rewriting functionality ....

That was indeed a thought I had, but because I don't want to
*pledge* it, I didn't say it; but you see where the "separate tool"
idea is coming from. :-)

The problem with the rewriter is that either (a) we leave it broken
or (b) we need to spend significant time fixing it (and make sure it
doesn't immediately break again with future changes ...). The former
doesn't sound like a great option, but I'm not sure that the latter
is worth the effort.

We could do a compromise: Remove it, but turn all the code into a
big patch that applies cleanly to the next release. We wouldn't fix
anything for now, and we wouldn't maintain the patch for future
releases, but we'll keep the patch around if somebody comes along
who has an interest in doing (b) (which might just as well by
ourselves if at some point we want to spend our resources on that; I
don't see that near-term though).

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org