[Bro-Dev] Script reorg proposal

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Aug 1 11:32:38 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 13:23 -0500, you wrote:

> If they're all in BROPATH, that means it's possible for
> scripts/packages in one directory to overshadow equivalently named
> ones in another directory.

Good catch, and actually this is my mistake when writing the summary,
sorry.

While I don't have my notes with me right now, I think what Seth and I
actually discussed is that BROPATH would include only
$prefix/share/bro and $prefix/share/bro/policy. That allows to pull in
the optional stuff from policy/ directly without needing the prefix
(which is the common case); but all the other stuff does require the
base/contrib/site prefixes, and we don't get conflicts with
directories overshadowin each other.

Does that sound better?

Perhaps site/ should be in BROPATH as well though, in particiular if
it ends up being moved to somewhere else than share/bro/.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org