[Bro-Dev] Script reorg proposal

Matthias Vallentin vallentin at icir.org
Mon Aug 1 12:19:02 PDT 2011

I like this rather simple scheme.

>     /usr/share/bro/site/
>
>         - Local site-policies. Depending on file system standards,
>         this may go somehwere else as well.

It always bothered me that the site scripts were in the same place as
the distribution policy scripts. This made it more difficult to keep
local customixations in git or other VCS. What about ~/.bro/site? (see
below)

> BROAPTH would include all these four directories.

What about a ~/.bro directory in addition to BROPATH? This would allow
users to customize/override default script versions and facilite script
hacking. For example, say a user wants to replace
PREFIX/bro/base/foo.bro with a custom version. This would simply require
creating ~/.bro/base/foo.bro. We might raise a (suppressable) warning
that the file in the home directory is shadowed in this case. In
general, I could imagine that a ~/.bro directory makes it easier for
UNIX-folks to get-it-up-and-running by simply creating policy scripts in
~/.bro.

Thoughts?

    Matthias