[Bro-Dev] Script reorg proposal

Matthias Vallentin vallentin at icir.org
Tue Aug 2 08:11:57 PDT 2011

>     - A user can always pick a different place. With BroCtl, it's
>     single config option; and otherwise one just points BROPATH to
>     that new location.

This makes me wonder whether

    BROPATH="/path/to/foo:/here/is/bar"

are considered like prefixes, i.e., standard sub-directories like
site, policy, etc. are also included?

>     - That said, we still need a default for the source install of
>     course. I'm not sure I like ~/.bro for that, it's not where I'd
>     intuitivelely look for local scripts, in particular when working
>     as root.

I agree that *installing* local scripts into ~/.bro is not the best
choice. Rather, I was proposing ~/.bro in addition to the base script
installation.

>     Does anybody have a good idea where the different OSs/distros want
>     such local scripts files to be located?  I'd say let's just pick
>     one of those as the default for the src install as well.

/var could be a good choice since the site policies are subject to
modification. Perhaps /var/bro/site?

>     - I don't think we should rely (or "approve") the overshadowing.
>     It will work to some degree (but not always, per Jon's mail), but
>     in any case let's not make that the official way of extending Bro. :)

ACK ;-). I thought of overshadowing rather a bug than feature that would
have to be solved when scanning the script include paths.

    Matthias