[Bro-Dev] Script reorg proposal

Matthias Vallentin vallentin at icir.org
Tue Aug 2 08:21:50 PDT 2011

> No, it's that relative script loading (e.g. @load ./bar) is currently
> implemented such that it first always searches the
> directory-of-the-current-script-being-loaded (e.g. the place where
> __load__.bro lives; $PWD may differ from that).

Got it, thanks for clarifying.

> I think what you're trying to do with script overshadowing is
> workaround the lack of OO in the language, and if we wanted to solve
> that, it would be better to address it directly instead of hacking
> around it?

Substituting scripts is indeed a hack at best to replace or extend
existing code. Because the language itself used to have little
customization points (data redefs, callback tables for a few
structures), I found myself often replacing entire chunks of the base
code by means of substituting implementations. Maybe this strategy is
not apt anymore after the script reorganization and the new logging
framework?!

    Matthias