[Bro-Dev] enable-debug doesn't work on FreeBSD

Gregor Maier gregor at icir.org
Wed Aug 3 21:15:23 PDT 2011

On 8/3/11 20:06 , Jonathan Siwek wrote:
>> CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG:STRING=
>> CMAKE_C_FLAGS_DEBUG:STRING=
>>
>> so I guess those two are the problems. Were do they come from?
>
> It looks like they might get set from $cmake_install_prefix/share/cmake/Modules/Compiler/GNU.cmake
>
> Maybe you're missing some modules that are supposed to come with CMake?  Or maybe it's just not detecting the compiler correctly.

Ok. Now I found it. Looks like the port maintainer in FreeBSD didn't like the fact that "-g" is in there and just removed it:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/cmake/files/patch-Modules_Compiler_GNU.cmake

I guess that's to for making port builds work better but it obviously breaks other source builds. Somebody more involved / knowledgeable about ports might want to flag that with the port maintainer...

This change is from Apr 2011 so eventually it will be a problem we'll be facing on all FreeBSD systems. So we might have to work around it. Grrrr.

> (If you're desperate, a temporary workaround would be: `CFLAGS=-g CXXFLAGS=-g ./configure --enable-debug`)

yeah. That's what I ended up doing.

cu
Gregor
--