[Bro-Dev] enable-debug doesn't work on FreeBSD

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Aug 4 08:44:58 PDT 2011

> Ok. Now I found it. Looks like the port maintainer in FreeBSD didn't like the fact that "-g" is in there and just removed it:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/cmake/files/patch-Modules_Compiler_GNU.cmake
>
> I guess that's to for making port builds work better but it obviously breaks other source builds. Somebody more involved / knowledgeable about ports might want to flag that with the port maintainer...
>
> This change is from Apr 2011 so eventually it will be a problem we'll be facing on all FreeBSD systems. So we might have to work around it. Grrrr.

I'd like to keep Bro's use of use of CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE profiles to automatically determine the right flags for the job based on the compiler being used.  Adding a hack, exclusive to FreeBSD, to set default compiler flags isn't great since this isn't a general platform problem, just a problem with the port of CMake.

I think I understand why they did it -- it makes it easier for port maintainers to arrest full control of compile flags without patching upstream sources of projects that use build profiles.  But that approach doesn't seem to play nice when users are trying to build software outside the port system.  Taking the issue up with the CMake port maintainer might be best for now.