[Bro-Dev] bro's dlmalloc

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Aug 12 09:14:13 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 02:56 -0400, you wrote:

> support threads [1].  With that in mind, I'm wondering if malloc.c is
> really necessary; most systems these days have a pretty good default
> allocator ([2], [3]).

That's an excellent point. We added that many years ago when FreeBSD's
malloc performed pretty badly for Bro, but I have no idea if that
still applies. As you say, it seems reasonable to assume that things
have changed.

> *) Removing malloc.c entirely

That sounds like the right thing to do, at least as long as we don't
have any data to back up any of the other options. I'll file a ticket.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org