[Bro-Dev] newly found segfaults from metrics framework

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Tue Aug 16 07:54:39 PDT 2011

On Aug 16, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Jonathan Siwek wrote:

> Don't think anything looked wrong about how that 'val' StringVal was being created in the SSL analyzer either, so it seems like it may be clobbered somewhere in between the point that it's created and when the metrics framework wants to use it.  I'll see if I can find out where that is today, but if you see the same thing as above, do you have any ideas?

I was seeing crashes happen all over the place.  It seems like memory is getting corrupted by the call to the Metrics::reset function.  If you comment out that one function (in base/frameworks/metrics/non-cluster.bro) the crashes should also stop but the metrics framework also doesn't work correctly anymore!  We do probably need to find an open tracefile soon that exhibits these corruption crashes.