[Bro-Dev] #558: /topic/gilbert/ascii-header

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Aug 18 08:46:29 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 22:59 -0000, you wrote:

>  Are you sure that echo statement is doing what I think you think that echo
>  statement is doing?

Yes, I think it does what I think it does. :-) THis prints the
separator as I would expect it to:

    echo -e "#separator ;\n1;2;3;4\n" | awk '/#separator/ {FS=$2; print $2}'

But it doesn't apply the new FS, at least on my Mac awk.

Anyway, let's just pick something and go ahead. I still prefer the
whitespace here[1] so why don't we always make the first line look
like this

    {{{
    #seperator \t
    }}}

(Indeed with the standard C escaping for non-printable characters).

[1] Because the escaping makes sure there's no whitespace in the
separator itself.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org