[Bro-Dev] PF_RING cluster ID

Gregor Maier gregor at icir.org
Wed Aug 31 09:54:43 PDT 2011

On 8/31/11 9:28 , Seth Hall wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Martin Holste wrote:
>
>> PF_RING's greatest feature is the ability to do per-flow clustering so
>> that many sniffers can run in parallel on their own CPU and each
>> receive a portion of the traffic which has been load-balanced.  Snort
>> and Suricata both support this, and we've come to rely on it as we
>> don't have access to hardware load balancing.  Is there a way to do
>> this in Bro?
>
> Use the cluster deployment in BroControl and assign each of the virtual interfaces to a separate worker node.  Since you're running the git master though, keep in mind that the broctl master that is currently checked out has some problems.  I'll work on merging in our fixed branch today and I'll reply again once it's updated.

I think it doesn't work like that :-(
It appears that PF_RINGs clustering doesn't use virtual interfaces for
its clustering.

Bro currently uses libpcap exclusively for packet capture and AFAIK
libpcap doesn't use PF_RING clustering.

I guess there are two possible ways to get this support to Bro:

a) directly: add a new PktSrc() that uses the PF_RING API directly and
add the command line argument to specify the clustering information.
BroControl will likely need to be updated as well. If somebody does
that, than the same framework can probably be used for Endace's
load-balancing packet capture as well.

b) use a modified libpcap: modify libpcap so that it uses PF_RING
clusters and add some magic to the way libpcap parses interface names
passed to it. Say that the monitoring interface it eth0, then libpcap
could interpret an interface like "eth0::1" (*) as the first cluster
stream from eth0 and setup PF_RING accordingly. You'd probably need a
small external program that sets up the cluster then.

Although b) is a little hacky, it would also enable any libpcap based
application to make use of PF_RING and it likely quicker to integrate
with Bro and BroControl (since neither Bro nor BroControl need to be
changed for that)

(*) I guess one could even encode even more information into this
"virtual" interface name, like the cluster id: "eth0::CLUSTERID::STREAM"

cu
Gregor
--
Gregor Maier