[Bro-Dev] Writing documentation

Siwek, Jonathan Luke jsiwek at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 2 07:28:31 PST 2011

> In normal ## documentation comments, the first sentence is also special and is used as a summary somewhere.  Jon, could you provide an actual explanation of what the first sentence is used for?  I don't think I'm qualified to do it. :)

It's used in the Overview->Summary section of each script's documentation to give a short description of each Bro identifier that's being documented.  e.g. see:

http://www.bro-ids.org/documentation-git/scripts/base/protocols/ssl/main.html#summary

which has a brief description of SSL::root_certs and then the more verbose docs for it are further down:

http://www.bro-ids.org/documentation-git/scripts/base/protocols/ssl/main.html#id-SSL::root_certs

+Jon