[Bro-Dev] Compile errors

Gregor Maier gregor at icir.org
Fri Feb 18 12:45:17 PST 2011

On 2/18/11 12:34 , Don Appleman wrote:
> Thanks, Gregor -- your fix solves the compile errors I was getting. I guess you have this working on some 64-bit platform? I've encountered new compile errors further along in the build process ...

I do. It' some Fedora.

>> Linking CXX shared module _SubnetTree.so
>> /usr/bin/ld: /prereq/Python-2.6.2/lib/libpython2.6.a(abstract.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.8' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>> /prereq/Python-2.6.2/lib/libpython2.6.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[2]: *** [aux/broctl/aux/pysubnettree/_SubnetTree.so] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [aux/broctl/aux/pysubnettree/CMakeFiles/_SubnetTree.dir/all] Error 2
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> ... which I suspect may also be a 64-bit platform problem. Do you have any guidance to offer on this new error? The Python-2.6.2 that I am using is the only version of python I have available on this particular build target.

I sometime have weird problems compiling some of the python modules but
I haven't really debugged it. What seems to work for me is:
* remove build directory and do another ./configure
* do a git submodule update --recursive
* do a fresh recursive clone of the bro repository

hth
Gregor
--
Gregor Maier