[Bro-Dev] Git merge and submodules

Gregor Maier gregor at icir.org
Wed Jan 12 10:17:02 PST 2011

Hi,

I've got a curious problem here with git.

I've merge one of my topic branches (topic/gregor/ressembler-hotfix)
into another one (topic/gregor/rpc) using git merge --no-ff.

This worked fine, but it also updated my submodules. When I do a git
status right after the merge I get:
#  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
#
#       modified:   aux/binpac (new commits)
#       modified:   aux/bro-aux (new commits)
#       modified:   aux/broccoli (new commits)
#       modified:   aux/broctl (new commits)

How I can I get rid of that. I don't really care for updating my
submodules. The
  "git checkout -- aux/binpac", etc.
didn't help.

Can I do a merge without getting the submodules as well?

Alternatively, I guess I can just accept the changes to the submodules.
Can I just do a "git commit -a" ?

On a different note. Just before the merge I pushed a bunch of commits
that had accumulated to the server. Then I merged the other topic
branch. However, git status still tells that I'm ahead by 7 commits?
Why? I can see that I'm ahead by 1 commit, namely the merge commit....
# On branch topic/gregor/rpc
# Your branch is ahead of 'origin/topic/gregor/rpc' by 7 commits.
A git pull says "already up-to-date"....

cu
gregor

--
Gregor Maier                                             gregor at icir.org