[Bro-Dev] Git merge and submodules

Gregor Maier gregor at icir.org
Thu Jan 13 09:43:40 PST 2011

On 1/13/11 9:32 , Jonathan Siwek wrote:
>> Gregor and I talked yesterday about adding a simple script like
>> "fix-submodules" that would do whatever is necessary to get the
>> submodules into the right state (which probably is just such a
>> recursive update; but Gregor, didn't we have a second thing the
>> script could do as well?). So, after a merge one would just run that
>> and be good.
>
> Yeah, I think doing a recursive update of submodules is the right thing to do after merging with another branch.

Exactly. I think that's the common case, that somebody just wants to
work on bro itself and not be bothered with submodule changes.
The idea was that such a script would make life easier for people new or
not too familiar with git.

> But the other case (which is probably less common) is that someone may be doing work on the submodule repositories.  The submodule update command for them does the wrong thing.  They need to either
> [ACK]
>
> Since the same thing happens in the end, maybe it's fine to just leave it to developer preference (as long as they try to avoid spamming the commit log with purely "update submodule" type commits if they choose #2).

ACK. I think that can be left up to the developer.

>> Another script which I think would be useful is something like
>> "update-submodules" that moves all submodules to their most recent
>> [cut]
> [cut]
> But the name might be confusing because it actually doesn't involve the submodule update command.

ACK.

--
Gregor Maier
<gregor at icir.org>  <gregor at icsi.berkeley.edu>