[Bro-Dev] Subversion (and CVS) style $Id$ keywords

Gregor Maier gregor at icir.org
Thu Jan 13 13:54:13 PST 2011

Hi,

I was just wondering whether we want to use something similar to the
$Id$ keyword for git. If not, we should probably remove all the $Id$
lines in the code....

It's seems it's deliberately not supported in git. However,
gitattributes(5) can be used to embed a "blobid" (which basically is the
SHA-1 of the file's contents when it was committed). There's also a
"filter" feature in gitattributes that could be used to hack something
together, but it's probably a bad idea.

Why is it not in git:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/44750

gitattributes: