[Bro-Dev] Subversion (and CVS) style $Id$ keywords

Gregor Maier gregor at icir.org
Thu Jan 13 17:51:13 PST 2011

On 1/13/11 17:16 , Vern Paxson wrote:
>> Why is it not in git:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/44750
>
> Um, that's a 50-100 message thread - care to summarize it for us?

I'll try (I've only skimmed over the thread)

* Problematic with git's approach of addressing and tracking
  *content* (because the same file-content, identified by its SHA-1
  can be present in many different commits. A commit points to a file's
  content, but given a file-content, there can be any number of commits
  associated with it)

* It can break diffs (if the keyword line is part of the context and
  and the keywords are different (e.g., due to different branches))

* performance. Keyword expansion is expensive

* Linus Torvalds hates them

I seems that this mail covers most of the arguments (it's kinda longish)
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/44654,

Another argument is, that if keywords are desired, they should be added
when a file is exported from revision control (so that it's in the tarball)

--
Gregor Maier
<gregor at icir.org>  <gregor at icsi.berkeley.edu>