[Bro-Dev] --with-binpac

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Jan 20 13:04:57 PST 2011

> One weird side effect is that if I do "make clean", and reconfigure
> without --with-binpac it still uses my separate out-of-tree binpac. I
> don't know if that matters or not, but it seems a little weird.

--with-binpac will set BinPAC_ROOT_DIR in the CMakeCache.txt and "make clean" doesn't get rid of it.

At the moment I'm not sure if this behavior is going to be easily changed because it's actually a lot more pervasive than just --with-binpac.  I think this occurs at least with the way most dependency libraries/headers will be found as well as some of the configure checks.  It's probably also partly a downside to using a configure wrapper; I think using one of the standard cmake front-ends would allow you to directly set/unset any variable.  You could also directly edit the cache, if you want.

I thought I remember from my experiences with Autotools-based software, that it's usually recommended to do a distclean if you're going to be reconfiguring w/ significantly different choices?  So translating that to CMake, I'd recommend starting from a new build directory (not necessarily deleting the original one; see the --builddir option).  Is that cool w/ everyone?